Friday, February 20, 2026
Custom Text
HomeSPORTSFootballLescott says Arsenal should have bought João Pedro, Ekitike instead of Gyökeres

Lescott says Arsenal should have bought João Pedro, Ekitike instead of Gyökeres

-

Lescott, however, noted that Arsenal signed Gyökeres because they thought he was the “best of the available strikers”.

By Kehinde Okeowo

English pundit and former Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has argued that Premier League leaders Arsenal made a mistake by bringing Viktor Gyökeres to the Emirates Stadium as their main striker.

He made this known recently during an interview with Sky Bet, which was monitored by Metro UK.

- Advertisement -

The Gunners signed Gyökeres from Sporting Lisbon last summer, and the 27-year-old has not yet replicated the form he displayed while playing for the Portuguese club.

Although the Sweden international has improved this year, Arsenal fans and pundits are yet to be convinced that he is the “real deal”.

ALSO READ: ​Supercomputer backs Arsenal to lift EPL title despite damaging 2-2 draw against Wolves

While analysing Gyökeres’ performance so far, Lescott said the North London outfit signed him because they thought he was the “best of the available strikers”.

He added that Arsenal should have opted for Chelsea’s João Pedro or Liverpool’s Hugo Ekitike instead.

- Advertisement -

He said: “I thought Viktor Gyökeres was brought in to start for Arsenal, to play in all the big games.

“They brought in Gyökeres because they thought he was the best of the available strikers.

“It’s easy to say now that Arsenal should have gone for Hugo Ekitike. João Pedro is another striker—I don’t know why Arsenal didn’t buy him.”

- Advertisment -Custom Text
- Advertisment -Custom Text
Custom Text