HomeSPORTSFootball'Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo contemplates quitting football

‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo contemplates quitting football

-

​Ronaldo did not feature as Al-Nassr began their title defence against Al Fateh on Saturday, watching the game from the stands with his family.

​By Kehinde Okeowo

​Portuguese football star, Cristiano Ronaldo, has said he might finally take the bold step and retire from professional football at the end of the ongoing season.

​The Al-Nassr striker made this known recently during an interview with lifestyle magazine Vogue, which was published on Sunday, August 16, 2026.

- Advertisement -

​The 41-year-old’s statement on quitting both international and club football comes days after his wedding to his long-time partner, Georgina Rodríguez.

​Addressing his future, Ronaldo said he is considering quitting football during the ongoing season because he wants to end his career on a high.

​The five-time Ballon d’Or winner said, “This is probably my last year of football and I want to leave a spectacular legacy.”

​ALSO READ: BREAKING: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to lift first WAFCON trophy

- Advertisement -

​Ronaldo went on to say he had already mapped out life after football, noting that “it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

​He added, “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.

​“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because, after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

​Ronaldo, who made his senior debut for Sporting CP in 2002, has won league titles in England, Spain, Italy, and Saudi Arabia, and is a five-time winner of the UEFA Champions League (UCL).

​The former Manchester United forward also remains the all-time leading scorer in men’s international football, having scored 976 goals for club and country.

He is currently 24 goals short of the 1,000-goal milestone and has one year left on his contract with the Saudi Pro League champions.

- Advertisment -Custom Text
- Advertisment -Custom Text