HomeNEWSGunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

-

Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

Gunmen, suspected to be political thugs, on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The attack triggered an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel for about 15 minutes.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

- Advertisement -

An eyewitness told Punch that Adeleke had already left the palace through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.

She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

The incident caused panic in the area as traders and other residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety during the shooting.

- Advertisement -

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said no casualties were recorded.

- Advertisment -Custom Text
- Advertisment -Custom Text